Back on May 10, 2020 we wrote a post about future travel in which we were very sad to have no Marriott reservations pending on our Bonvoy app. Now, 3 months later we do have 7 future Marriott nights booked. They are not the ones we thought they would be a year ago, but we are very happy to have them booked for some upcoming travel. They are all stays within BC, all at hotels we have been to before, but we are looking forward to them just the same. (At the time of writing this, August 5, 2020, the future of even British Columbia travel may be in question as COVID cases spike worldwide.)
Why 7 Marriott Nights?
We could have planned our fall, winter and spring in BC without any hotel stays but there are two reasons why we have chosen not to.
- We like staying in hotels.
- Marriott gave us a very good reason.
Marriott Bonvoy Extensions
Back in March Marriott Bonvoy extended the expiration date on both Points and Suite nights. Normally points expire if there is no activity on an account for 24 months. This has never been and likely will never be a problem for us but Points expirations have been extended for everyone until at least February 1, 2021 regardless of activity. Normally Suite Nights expire on December 31 of each year but have been extended until December 31, 2021.
Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Bonus
As the pandemic wears on Marriott made another announcement in July to credit all Elite members a one-time deposit of 50% of their tier’s annual Elite Night Credit requirement. In addition, these Elite Night Credits will count towards achieving the 2020 Annual Choice Benefit. For us both of these are great news and also the reason why we need to stay 7 more nights this year at a Marriott property.
- As of July 1, 2020 we had 43 Marriott nights for 2020 (most from January and February and a few from our drive from Las Vegas to Winnipeg and then back to BC. We also had 4 unused Suite night credits left for 2020.
- On August 1, 2020 we had 68 Marriott nights. Thanks to the 50% bonus from the previous year’s tier we received a bonus 25 nights.
- This pushed us up to the Platinum (used to be Gold) tier for 2020 giving us an Elite Choice Benefit of which we chose 5 Suite Nights again. We now have 9 Suite nights for use until the end of 2021.
- If we stay 7 more nights this year – which we will – we will then reach 75 nights or Titanium Elite (used to be Platinum) which has many benefits to us – another Elite Choice Benefit, lounge access, an extra 75% more points on all stays until December 31, 2021 and another year towards Lifetime Platinum Elite Status (600 lifetime nights + 10 years Platinum Elite).
Travel in 2021
All of this is important assuming that we are able to continue our location independent plan in 2021 and beyond. We hope to use all of the points that we have not been able to use for a a week at a beautiful downtown hotel in some major world city over Christmas 2021.
If travel is still not ‘a thing’ again by then, well, we’re sure Marriott will have some other solution for us.
We, Jeff and Tara Ciecko of CK Golf write two blogs, one is our 19th Hole Blog where we share personal experiences and the other an Industry Blog where we comment on general business and internet marketing best practices, sales strategies and give golf industry related opinions. We have recently started a Zoom call video series of Golf Industry Conversations. We have owned CK Golf for 12 years and provide business services to the golf and other industries. As of July 31, 2016 our life and our business became ‘location independent’. Our 19th Hole Blog is about the places we visit and the things we do. If you have any questions or comments, or happen to be in the same location as us please reach out and contact us anytime.
Leave a Comment