Dine Out Vancouver
The 9th annual Dine Out Vancouver will take place January 24th to February 6th this year. Over 200 restaurants will feature three course menus for $18, $28 or $38. Each menu will be paired with BC VQA wines. One of our favorite golf course restaurants is a participant in Dine Out and we had a chance for a ‘sneak peak’ at the menu items and the wines.
Dine Out at University Golf Club
The Westward Ho! Public House & Grill Room will feature an $18 three course Dine Out menu. And you will not find a better value for this high-quality menu anywhere else. Chef Ron Gibb has created three appetizers, three entrees and a dessert trio using as many locally sourced products as possible. We suggest making sure there are three of you at the table so you have a chance to try each dish. We got to try them all and had to ‘roll’ ourselves home.
- Tempura Battered Scallops – wrapped in bacon and served with yellow pepper and beetroot sauces.
The batter is light so as not to overpower the scallops and the sauces delicious.
- Buttered Bean and Sundried Tomato Bisque – topped with pesto and served with Toasted Walnut and Goat Cheese Bruschetta.
This was both of our favorite appetizers. The soup was rich and creamy and so full of flavor that we suggested that Chef Ron go into the take out business.
- Mixed greens with honey drenched Fig, Prosciutto and Roquefort Salad – served with house made humus and Italian breadsticks.
A very hearty salad with a dressing light enough to not compete with the other flavors. Add in the humus and it is almost a meal on its own.
- Grilled Manhattan Steak – topped with a mixed bean and tomato chili and a leek and apple fritter, served with baby roasted potatoes & buttered beans.
The fritter was an unexpected but terrific addition to the one inch thick steak and the chili added some zip without being overpowering.
- Pinwheel of Lemon Sole, Wild Salmon and Spinach – served on a bed of celery root sauce, saffron cream and red pepper oil with wild mushroom risotto and baby carrots.
The sauces in this dish are fabulous and Tara would have been happy with just the yummy wild mushroom risotto but the pinwheels are both pretty and flavorful.
- Lamb and Pasta Trio – two grilled lamb cutlets with red current glaze surrounded by house made pasta – spinach and ricotta cannelloni, wild mushroom ravioli and herb pansotti with tomato, chanterelle mushroom and walnut cream sauces.
This dish can also be ordered vegetarian style without the lamb and double the pasta.
For dessert you do not need to worry about choices but rather how you will leave enough room for the delicious trio of Hazelnut Tart with Fresh Cream, Goat Cheesecake with Mango Salsa and Raspberry, Apple and Bread Butter Pudding. And yes this is also included in the $18 price. For an additional $4 you can substitute the dessert trio for a selection of Canadian cheeses if you prefer.
Suggested wine parings also accompany each menu item. Wines have been chosen from Peller Estates and Sandhill wineries. Dessert wines or a dessert wine flight (three one ounce pours for $10) will also be offered. In 2010 the Westward Ho! won the Best Wine Award as selected by Dine Out patrons for their suggested wine pairings.
For more information or to make a reservation call 604-225-2315.