CK Golf was recently engaged by two semi-private golf clubs and one privately owned club to assist in Senior Management searches to fill voided positions. You may have received the emails from us. One was for a General Manager (overseeing all operations) and two for a Head Golf Professional (overseeing all golf operations).
Our role at CK Golf was to collect the resumes and rate the candidates for shortlisting to the hiring committee based on the resume (CV) provided. It is not a task we take lightly, but evaluate each candidate based on our requests for the positions.
What We Learned
So here is our list of helpful tips if you are applying for a new position or looking for a career change. Our 5 Do’s and Don’ts based on our recent experience:
- Do follow instructions. In the job posting if it says “please submit one document as a pdf” don’t submit multiple documents in Word, Pages or other. Don’t send a web link to your website.
- Do include your references. You may have some good ones and they might move your application up a level. References will help you. Don’t say “references available on request”.
- Do send your resume sooner than later. Even though the posting may not close for another two weeks we begin evaluating candidates as soon as the resume arrives. Don’t wait until 7pm the night applications have closed, we may have found 5 great candidates and may take latecomers lightly.
- Do check your spelling. Yes this matters. Don’t use different fonts throughout the resume, this is just annoying.
- Do have your own email address. Yes this matters too. Don’t use your spouses’s Hotmail address with their name to send your resume.
Bonus: If you have more than a year gap in your resume, explain why in your cover letter.
If you need help in hiring for a Management position, give us a call at 604-506-2226 anytime.
We, Jeff and Tara Ciecko of CK Golf write two blogs, one is our 19th Hole Blog where we share personal experiences and the other an Industry Blog where we comment on general business and internet marketing best practices, sales strategies and give golf industry related opinions. We have owned CK Golf for 14+ years and provide business services to the golf and other industries. As of July 31, 2016 our life and our business became ‘location independent’. Our 19th Hole Blog is about the places we visit and the things we do. If you have any questions or comments, or happen to be in the same location as us please reach out and contact us anytime.
This post has 1 Comment